I’ve had a lot of people ask me about setting up a LinkedIn account. Do I see it as a beneficial social media platform to network and apply for jobs? Definitely! I think it’s very important to publish a LinkedIn account and make it a professional representation of yourself. I highly recommend setting up an account and below are a few musts:
1. Upload a professional photo. You don’t want the photo to be you at a party with friends. It should be a professional, clear photo of yourself. (Definitely don’t have a drink in your hands!)
2. Headline should include industry keywords. A lot of people make the mistake of adding their current job title. If you change it to keywords that describe yourself, but are also relevant to your company, it will help companies find you.
3. Ask for recommendations. Ask for a few recommendations from people you trust. This will definitely look good to an employer.
4. Include your current and past jobs. Include a short bulleted list of the activities that you did in your job.
5. Include any projects you’ve accomplished. This will allow employers to look at your work and see what you’ve accomplished.
Do you have any other LinkedIn musts that you find beneficial? Share them with me!