I realized I’m a bit behind in blogging so now is the time to do some catch up! I had my first chemo treatment last Monday, January 18. I need 6 total chemo treatments over the duration of 18 weeks and I am so happy that the first one is over!
I’m starting to check off all of my treatments on my calendar. May cannot come soon enough! I thought I’d share the top side effects that I have noticed during this first round. Understanding that everyone is different, this may help you know what to expect if you are going through chemo for the first time:
- Fatigue: Oh mannn. My oncologist warned me about the fatigue, but I never thought it could be this bad. I mean, I love to sleep, but napping pretty much all day and all night?! I was really only tired the next three days after my treatment, but I’ve learned to listen to my body and sleep if I need to.
- Change in taste: I never expected this one to happen so quickly. I was eating fine, and then bam! I couldn’t taste any foods and even water tasted bad. (A little lemon in my water goes a long way!) That is changing and I could taste my food tonight for dinner. (Winning!)
- Mouth sores: Okay, I have one tiny mouth sore that is driving me nuts! I even rinse and brush my teeth every time I eat and I’m gentle when I floss. This little bugger won’t go away! (It feels like when I was a kid and would cut my cheeks with my braces!)
- Headaches: I’ve always been prone to headaches, but I feel like they are especially bad now.
- Eye problems: I’ve never had eye problems, but I feel like I am walking around in a fog and everything is blurry. This tends to go with the fatigue and just not feeling myself.
- Acid Reflux: What?! I’ve never had this in my life. I’ve never had heartburn either. I’ve had the feeling that food is stuck in my throat and I can’t get rid of it. A call to my nurse helped with a prescription and it’s getting better as each day goes on.
- Nosebleeds: I’ve had about two nosebleeds in my life. Not now! I seem to get one everyday. I just always carry Kleenex with me!
Are you going through your first round of chemo? What side effects are you experiencing? I keep telling myself that everything is temporary and this too shall pass. Waiting for next week which should be my best week before my second chemo treatment.
Stay strong and beautiful!